A beginners guide to roof replacement in Mississauga
It can withstand the world's weight for decades and endures pounding rains and gusting winds while still looking great from the street. It can be daunting for homeowners to replace their roofs.
It is usual for contractors to walk you through the process and assist you in preparing for the work, but it is not always the norm. This article will provide all the information you need to plan your roof replacement.
Here are some signs you need to replace your roof
These signs will help you determine if your roof is in good condition and when it might be time to replace it. These are all clear signs that your roof needs to be replaced.
End Of Life - Roofs don't last forever, although copper is close. Asphalt shingles are the most popular residential roofing material and have a lifespan of between 15-30 years. Metal roofing is twice as long. It's time for a replacement if your roofing materials are reaching the end of their useful life.
Significant Damage A professional roof inspection is the best way to inspect your roof for Damage. This inspection is free and will assess every inch of your roof for Damage. You may see missing, damaged, curled, or broken shingles and wind, storm, and roofline problems. While roof repairs are sometimes possible, a replacement is the best solution for Damage exceeding 30%.
There are two methods to install a roof.
Two options are available when your roof needs to be replaced: overlay or complete removal.
- Overlay - This replacement method involves installing new metal roofing or shingles without having to remove the old roof material. Experts do not recommend two layers of asphalt shingles on the house. However, most building codes allow for this. Overlay has many benefits
- Because you can save labor and disposal costs associated with removing old shingles, an overlay is more affordable.
- This reduces waste as it covers up old roofing material and does not throw it away.
- You can also install your roof faster because you don't need to wait for the old roofing materials.
Why roofers do not recommend overlay:
- The roof may be too heavy if you add shingles to the top of the existing one. This could lead to structural problems.
- Manufacturers consider it a breach of warranty if you apply new shingles to old ones.
- If you cover up old shingles, the underlying issues may not be addressed and can lead to more Damage.
- Tear-Off is the preferred method for roof replacement. This involves removing and disposing all roofing materials before installing a new roof. Why not choose a complete replacement?
- Removing the roof is possible to identify underlying issues with the decking or sheathing. Then, you can take care of them before installing new roofing materials.
- A roof installed after tear-off will be more durable as the shingles are more flexible and can be laid flatter.
- This is the best way for the manufacturer to guarantee its warranty validity.
8 Tips to Prepare for Your New Roof
Your home becomes a work area once the roofing company arrives. You can avoid potential problems by preparing for the experience in advance.
- Protect Your Children - While roofers' ripping may enthrall kids, tear, hauling, and nailing, keeping them safe from potentially hazardous materials is essential.
- Inform your Neighbors It's a polite gesture for you to inform your neighbors when your roof is being replaced. They will be informed about the noise coming up and possible nails or shingles in their yards so they can take preventative measures.
- Provide several Power Outlets Your roofer should bring all their tools, but it is a good idea to make sure your outlets are available.
- Move your Vehicles Roofers will remove an old roof and place the shingles on the concrete or pavement below. To avoid any damage to your vehicle, if you park it on the driveway regularly, move it to the street.
- Keep an eye on the Attic. If there is any storage space in your Attic, you will want to cover it using drop cloths or sheets. Dust and debris can fall from your Attic due to activity on your roof.
- Mow Your Lawn a Day or Two Before Contractors Arrive This will make it easier to clean up the yard and keep debris visible. To ensure that your roofers have easy access, trim overhanging trees.
- Reposition Grills and Patios - Make sure to check your backyard. Reposition patio furniture, barbecues, potted plants, toys for kids, and other obstructions.
- Protect Your Plants Fragile plants are always at risk of falling shingles. Protect valuable plants or point out to contractors if they are essential to you.
What is the cost of replacing your roof?
We estimate that the average national cost to replace a roof in the US is $8,000, and $8,706, respectively. Depending on the size of the top and its material, homeowners typically spend $5,000 to $12,000. The homeowner's coverage can often cover this replacement cost.
Hiring a professional
The most important decision you can make regarding your next roof replacement is choosing the right company. A good roofers mississauga will have a permanent location, communicate timely, be licensed and certified and have excellent reviews. They should also offer free estimates and inspections. Call us today to find a roofing contractor that cares as much about your roof.